|Batra Heart Centre|
|Batra Cancer Centre|
|Batra Neurosciences Centre|
|Batra Ortho & Joint Replacement Centre|
|Batra Gastrosciences Centre|
|Batra Dialysis and Kidney Transplant Centre|
|Batra Department of Urology|
Department Of Neurology
Neurological services are provided for such disorders as headache, Seizures / epilepsy, vertigo, stroke, TIAs, dementia, movement disorders (including Parkinsons Disease, Parkisonism, tremors myoclonic jerks, tics and dystonia), Ataxias (cerebellar / sensory), Spinal Cord Disorders (myelitis), Radiculopathies, Neuromuscular Disorders (myasthenia Gravis / Myasthenic Syndromes), Neuropathy (Diabetic entrapment neuropathies) Myopathy (Dystrophy, polymyositis, metabolic).
Neurosurgical services are provided for such disorders as Head Injury, Spinal cord Injury, Brain Abscess, SAH with aneurysmal clippings, Brain tumors, Spinal tumors, Encephalocele and Meningocele. Miscellaneous services include skull based surgery, lumbar and cervical disc surgery, muscle and nerve biopsy, Nerve Repair and VP shunts.
The Neurosciences Centre in Batra Hospital and MRC hosts one of the best and most well coordinated twin superspeciality department of Neurology and Neurosurgery in New Delhi. Both the department boasts of highly experienced faculties combined with the best of latest diagnostic equipment and professionals handling them. Supportive diagnostic and therapeutic services are provided by Department of Radiology, Laboratory Medicine, Pathology, Physiotherapy, Cardiology, Radiation and Oncology.
Neurosciences Faculties B) In - Patient Services:
Round the clock Emergency Neurological and Neurosurgical Services exists with admission facilities in Neuro-ICU and provisions for all ancillary emergency Laboratory, Microbiology and Neuroradiology investigations. The Neuro ICU is currently 4 bedded well equipped with ventilators and neurological monitoring manned by experienced nursing staff and well trained Neurology / Neurosurgical Residents under the direct supervision of the Neurosciences faculties. Further plan of adding a Stroke unit and a Trauma unit is envisaged in near future.
As soon as a patient lands up in casualty with neurological (i.e. stroke, status epilepticus) or Neurosurgical emergency (i.e. Head / spine Injury, SAH) patient is immediately assessed by the neurology / neurosurgery resident. Patient is immediately given first aid including primary suturing, if needed, and stabilized in casualty before shifting him out for urgent neuroradiological investigation as CT scan or MRI as the need be before shifting to the Neuro ICU. The necessary management is now started in the neuro ICU. The Neurology / Neurosurgery Consultants come shortly to assess and decide regarding further investigations and management plan including surgery if need be.
The Neurosurgical Operation Theatre (OT) is well equipped with the latest Operating Microscope and OT Tables along with other operative paraphrenalia. There is very close cooperation and rapport amongst all the supportive departments of Neurosciences. This results in a quick and accurate diagnosis with institution of all the appropriate treatment accorded to the patient under a single roof.
Our Radiology Department has most experienced professionals providing round the clock latest generation Imaging facilities like 64 slice VCT and MRI (GE, 1.5 Tesla).
Our Cardiology department needs no introduction for providing round the clock best professional services including the 4-Vessel Digital Angiography (DSA).
Our Oncology and Radiation Department are well known all over Delhi for the quality care and support protocols for all malignancies of the neurological origin eg Brain Tumors and Spinal Tumors.
Neuro Electrophysiological Study Laboratory:
The Neurology Department boasts of possessing the latest and the best Neuroelectrophysiological Equipment which are operated by well trained and experienced professionals.
The facilities available are:
A) Electroencephalogram (EEG):
Digital Scalp EEG and Video EEG is performed by the latest Medelec Profile from Oxford, the leading manufacturers of the Neuroelectrophysiological Equipment in the world.
Scalp EEG is a useful diagnostic investigation in such disorders as Seizures / epilepsy, encephalitis, non epileptic seizures, metabolic encephalopathy, focal structural lesions.
Video EEG combines the scalp EEG with a concomitant Video Recording of the Patient. This is especially beneficial in cases of Intractable Epilepsy and Non Epileptic Seizures. Video EEG can be short Term (30 Mins), Mid term (1-2 Hours) or Long Term VEEG (1-3 days)
B) NCS / EMG:
Investigations included are routine Motor, Sensory, F reflex and H reflex study, Electromyography, Repetitive nerve stimulation, Blink reflex, sympathetic skin response, Tremor analysis.
These tests are useful in those patients who present with following symptoms :
1. Weakness of any part of body or whole as feet, leg, thigh, hip, trunk, hand, arm, forearm and face or,
2. Pain / impairment of sensation in any part or whole of body or,
3. Any abnormal movement in any part or whole of body as fasciculation, tremor, Jerks.
4. Diagnosis and management of such syndromic disorders as Mononeuropathy including entrapment neuropathies, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Polyneuropathy, Radiculopathy, Myopathy, Myasthenia gravis, Myasthenic syndromes, Bells palsy, autonomic Dysfunction, Anterior horn cell disorders, Certain Movement disorders (tremors / dystonias).
C) Evoked Potentials:
Evoked Potentials tested out here include :
1) Visual Evoked Potentials (VEP) : Useful in evaluating Retro Bulbar Optic neuropathy, Functional Blindness and Multiple Sclerosis.
2) Brainstem Auditory Evoked Response (BAER) : Useful in evaluating Infantile Deafness, Multiple Sclerosis, Acoustic Neuroma, Brain Death.
3) Somato Sensory Evoked Potentials (SSEP) : Useful in evaluating spinal cord disorders, radiculopathies and central conduction time.
4) P300 : Useful in differentiating Dementia with Pseudodementia.
Future Plans: 1. New Neuro ICU: A new NEURO ICU is proposed in the new block for intensive and invasive monitoring of all sick neurological / Neurosurgical patients with a step down ICU attached to it.
2. Stroke Unit: A Stroke Unit is envisaged in the new Block. Which will lead to multidisciplinary approach to the patients with stroke (Brain Attack).
3. Long Term Video EEG Monitoring: Facilities for continuos 3-5 days VEEG Monitoring is planned in the new block.
4. 24 Hours EEG Monitoring : 24 hour 16 channel EEG monitoring is planned along with ECG monitoring akin to holter monitoring for evaluation of the syncopal patients.
5. Trans Cranial Doppler (TCD): TCD will help in bedside evaluation of the blood to the brain by noninvasive methods and thereby helping in the management of stroke patients.
|Diagnostic Facility||Therapeutic Facility|
|EEG (Digital Video)||Stroke (CVA)|
|Nerve Conduction Study||Epilepsy|
|Evolved Potentials||Parkinsons Disease;|
Dr. S. K. Choudhary
MBBS, MD, DM (Neuro) AIIMS
Sr. Consultant & Chief Coordinator, Dept. of Neurology
Dr. Mohit Goel
MBBS (AFMC), MD (Med, AFMC), DM (Neurology) AIIMS
Sr. Consultant, Neurology