The division of General Thoracic Surgery provides services for the surgical treatment of non-cardiac benign and malignant (Thoracic oncosurgery) diseases of the chest, including the lungs, trachea and bronchi, pleura, esophagus, chest wall, mediastinum (the central compartment of the chest) and diaphragm.
Thoracic surgeons treat injuries, diseases and congenital abnormalities in a patients chest, including surgery to remove tumors, manage disorders or repair trauma to the lungs, esophagus and diaphragm.Thoracic surgery procedures may be performed with either minimally invasive techniques such as video-assisted thoracic surgery or VATS or traditional open surgery or Thoracotomy methods.
Thoracic surgical team provide surgical treatment for
- Lung cancer
- Empyema thoracis
- Infections like hydatid cyst of lung, aspergilloma of lung
- Mediastinal tumors and diseases (including the surgical treatment of myasthenia gravis)
- Pleural diseases (including pneumothorax, infections and pleural effusions)
- Benign diseases and tumors of the lung
- Lung volume reduction surgery for emphysema
- Esophageal cancer
- Benign esophageal diseases (including achalasia, benign tumors and strictures)
- Chest wall tumors
- Sympathectomy for hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating)
- Plication for diaphragm paralysis
- Tracheal resection or stent insertion for airway narrowing or tracheal tumors